Golf & Recreation
Moore County is a community that loves golf, lives golf and is the Home of American Golf®. With 40 golf courses in a 15-mile radius that draw over 1 million visitors each year, we have a thriving tourism industry supported by our hotels and restaurants. As a result, our Accommodations & Food Services industry is the 2nd largest industry sector.
Recognized as a National Landmark for its role in golf history, the Pinehurst Resort is known around the world for its famous No. 2 golf course. In fact, the USGA named Pinehurst No. 2 its first anchor site for U.S. Open Championships, with five championships scheduled between 2024 and 2047.
With nine 18-hole golf courses, the Par 3 Cradle, four hotels (including the majestic Carolina Hotel), a beach club, tennis, lawn bowling, croquet and the luxurious Spa at Pinehurst, visitors flock from around the world to experience this premier golf destination.
As Moore County’s 2nd largest private-sector employer, the Pinehurst Resort is a primary economic driver in our community.
Other Golf Companies
While the Pinehurst Resort is certainly the area’s largest golf resort, there are plenty of others that contribute to a thriving golf industry. Other well-known courses include Pine Needles Lodge & Golf Club (the first golf course to be awarded four U.S. Women’s Open Championships), Mid Pines Inn & Golf Club, the Country Club of North Carolina, Forrest Creek Golf Club and the Dormie Club. Each year, several of these courses rank as some of the best golf courses in the state and nation.
In addition to the Pinehurst Resort, several other major golf companies have planted roots in Moore County, including:
- The United States Golf Association (USGA) – Currently under construction, the USGA will open its second headquarters, Golf House Pinehurst, on the Pinehurst Resort campus before the 2024 U.S. Open Championship.
- Golf Pride – The world’s largest manufacturer of golf grips operates in Global Innovation Center in Pinehurst.
- US Kids Golf – The Longleaf Golf Academy in Southern Pines offers adults and kids of every skill and age a fun way to get the most out of their golf journey with programs, classes and individual lessons.
- Carolina’s Golf Association – The third largest golf association in the country provides competitions, education, support and benefits to golfers in North and South Carolina, from its headquarters in Southern Pines.
- Veteran’s Golf Association (VGA) – Located in Pinehurst, the VGA is dedicated to enriching the lives of veterans and their family members through the camaraderie and sportsmanship of golf.
Convention & Visitors Bureau
The Pinehurst, Southern Pines, Aberdeen Area Convention & Visitors Bureau (CVB) is the county’s official destination marketing organization that develops and implements strategies to enhance the economic and brand value of tourism in Moore County.
The CVB’s marketing and tourism development initiatives contributed to an unprecedented $749.5 million in economic impact from visitor spending in 2022, an 11 percent increase over 2021.
In 2022, Moore County ranked as the 10th highest tourism economy among North Carolina’s 100 counties, the highest ranking in our history. Notably, the tourism industry employed more than 5,600 people in Moore County, saved each resident $512 in taxes and generated $28.9 million in state tax revenue and $24.7 million in local tax revenue in 2022.
Contact us today to learn more about our thriving businesses and industries.Contact Us